Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Yarn Wreath Time

Don't you just love all the yarn wreaths that are popping up on Pinterest?  I do! So I decided to make one of my own.  I was inspired by the yarn wreaths from ItzFitz on Etsy. They.are.gorgeous

So here's my Halloween Wreath


I started with a straw wreath form, they are much cheaper than foam.  I used a cream colored 100% cotton yarn. 


So much yarn is made from acrylic material which is not the most earth friendly.  Acrylic is a petroleum based material and may contain residues after processing which off-gass into the air.  Although conventional cotton comes with its own issues i.e. pesticide use it is a better option than synthetic material.  I reserve buying organic cotton yarn for my knitting, since it is a little pricey.

I started wrapping the yarn around the wreath and pulling tight, wrap and pull, wrap and pull, wrap and pull till the cows come home.  Seriously it took me about 2.5 hours to wrap the wreath.


Then I traced out the letters out of "felt".  This "felt" is  Eco-Fi felt which is made from 100% post-consumer recycled plastic bottles. I found it at WalMart and was super excited because I won't use real wool and try to be as eco friendly as possible when crafting.  Who knew this neat "felt" existed not me! Then used my trusty hot glue gun to put the letters on the wreath.


I followed this awesome tutorial from Home Stories A2Z to make the "felt" flowers and glued them in place on the wreath.
And there you have it!


My very own Halloween yarn wreath!
I can't wait to decorate the rest of the house for Halloween!

Are you as smitten for the yarn wreaths as I am?  What is your favorite Halloween decoration?  



I linked up with

Tip Junkie handmade projects















lil luna link party buttonNightOwlCrafting























36th Avenue



HookingupwithHoH

Somewhat Simple

A Crafty Soiree



Simple Organic

Censational Girl

10 comments:

Katie said...

Very cute wreath! I'd like to make one like it! :)

Turnedgypsy said...

Really nice.. Thanks for sharing..hope you hop over to my blog and enter my contest

Chris

http://turnedgypsy.blogspot.com

Jenna said...

very cute wreath! I really like it. I'm loving all the yarn projects lately. :)

Ann said...

This is so cute, I especially love the felt flowers! Thanks for sharing at my Restyled Sundays party. Hope to see you again next week.

Unknown said...

This is fabulous and I love the black and gold! We are Tiger fans here so this would be the perfect "fall" wreath. BOO-tiful!
Would love for you to hop over and link up with the Frog; party just went live today.
http://kissedbyafrog.blogspot.com
Hope to see you there!
HUGS~
Jenni

Vicky @ Mess For Less said...

That is adorable and will be great way to welcome trick or treaters. Haven't tried a yarn wreath yet, but this looks doable. I am a new follower from Blue Cricket Design. Vicky @ www.messforless.net

Jill @Two Yellow Birds Decor said...

This wreath is so cute!! I love it! I am a new follower:) Come say Hi!
Jill
twoyellowbirdsdecor.blogspot.com

Jaime Lyn said...

ohhh how cute is this! I love your wreath! I just bought a bunch of those straw wreaths for the same reason-----so much less than the styrofoam! :o) Thank you SO much for the inspiration and for linking up over at crafty scrappy happy!
Jaime :o)

Rachael @ Fresh Squeezed Home said...

Thanks everyone for the wonderful comments! I am just loving all the Halloween inspiration out there right now!!

Shannah @ Just Us Four said...

I have a total obsession with yarn wreaths right now (on my 3rd at the moment). I love how this one turned out. You did a great job!

Post a Comment

Your comments make me smile!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...